>> Installing, Callibrating & Maintaining Electronic Instruments
This combination of practical information and hands-on experiences covers proper installation, calibration, and maintenance of electronic instrument. You will examine characteristics of electronic control systems, techniques for installing electronic instruments and procedures for configuring and calibrating transmitters, transducers, and controllers. Approximately 50% of your time in this course is spent in the lab, working with the equipment.
You will be able to :
- Employ proper safety practices during installation, calibration, and maintenance procedures.
- Connect wiring in an electronic control loop.
- Select and operate test equipment to measure electrical properties and calibrate instruments.
- Calibrate electronic transmitters and controllers.
- Recognize the importance of maintenance in the proper operation of instruments and control systems.
- Use manufacturer's guidelines to configure instruments for specific process applications.
- Explain installation considerations and practices for instruments and control systems.
- Install electronic instruments using manufacturer's guidelines and ISA's recommended practices and procedures.
- Use P&ID, wiring, schematic, and installation detail drawings to install, calibrate, and verify proper operation of instruments.
- Explain methods for reducing electrical hazards including intrinsically safe installation.
- Describe the trend toward using field bus systems and personal computers in process control.
- Understand the relevance of ISO 9000 standards to maintenance practices and procedures.
You will cover :
- Loop Characteristics : Current Loop/Power Source.
- Laboratory and Test Equipment : Millimeter/Process Calibrator.
- Calibration and Configuration : Instrument Performance/ Calibration Standards/ Device Calibration/ Calibration Documentation/ Configuring Smart Transmitters.
- Instrument Maintenance : Corrective/ Preventive/ Predictive.
- Installation : Grounding and Isolation/ Plant Conditions/ Documentation.
- Electronic Controllers : Control Strategies/Controller Maintenance/Digital Controllers.
- Safety in Hazardous Locations : Location Classification/Explosion Oroofing/ Purging and Pressurization/ Intrinsic Safety.
- Trends : Personal Computers in Control/Field bus Technology.
Classroom/ Laboratory Exercises :
- Calculate, record, and graph instrument performance data to compare with specifications and identify errors.
- Measure and record voltage, current, resistance.
- Calculate span and range values for various level measurement applications.
- Calibrate differential pressure, RTD, thermocouple, and I/P transmitters and transducers.
- Configure smart differential pressure and temperature transmitters.
- Construct a simple feedback flow loop, perform a loop check, and tune the loop using trial and error tuning.
- View a three-wire RTD demonstration and identify errors.
- Configure and calibrate a single lo9op digital controller.