>> Understanding Industrial Processes, Measurement & Control
This lecture-based course overviews industrial measurement and control using a generally non-mathematical approach. You will leave with a foundation for communicating with control system professionals. Serves as a solid fundamental course for introduction to other ISA Courses.
You will be able to :
- Communicate with measurement and control professionals.
- Understand the role of measurement and control in industrial processes.
- Compare continuous, batch and discrete control and how they are used in industry.
- Interpret measurement and control terminology.
- Compare the methods and devices used in temperature, pressure, level, flow measurement.
- Understand the operation and components of a feedback control loop.
- Understand the fundamental concepts of controller tuning.
- Compare different control systems architectures including single loop controllers, DCS, and PLCs.
- Apply ISA standards to interpret symbols and documentation.
- Communicate the latest tends in measurement and control.
You will cover :
- Concepts of Process Control : Continuous/ Batch / Discrete Control/ the Role of Measurement and Control in Industry / Graphic Description of Loop Components/ Component Loop Dynamics.
- Industrial Measurement Systems: Overview/ Sensor Selection and Characteristics/ Transmitters/ Smart Transmitters.
- Pressure Measurements : Concepts / instruments / Differential Pressure Measurement.
- Level Measurement : Concepts/ Hydrostatic Head Level Measurement/ Capacitance Level Measurement / Ultra-sonic Level Measurement/ by Weight.
- Flow Measurement : Fluid Fundamentals/ Methods and Concepts/ Differential Head Flow Measurement/ Velocity Flow Measurement Devices/ Mass Flowmeters.
- Temperature Measurement : Concepts / Thermometers/ Thermocouple/ RTDs/ Thermistors/ Temperature/ Transmitters.
- Industrial Process Control : Basic Feedback Control/ Components/PID Control/ Final Control Elements/ Tuning Concepts.
- Trends in Control Technologies: Smart Components/ Fieldbus.
Classroom/ Laboratory Exercises :
- Flow measurement review.
- Pressure scales review.
- Interpreting simple P&IDs.
A hand-held calculator should be brought to class.