>> Understanding Electrical Systems
This course covers the electrical principles and components used in industrial instrumentation, emphasizing safety. You will cover schematic symbols and the National Electrical Code (NEC), along with the use of basic test equipment.
You will be able to :
- Evaluate the direct current (DC) relationships between voltage, current, and resistance.
- Determine alternating current (AC) characteristics including amplitude, frequency, and phase.
- Identify the properties of an inductor and of a capacitor.
- Using basic test equipment to evaluate and to determine basic electrical characteristics.
- Apply safety considerations when measuring electrical values or working around electrical equipment.
- Compare bridge operation in balanced and unbalanced condition.
- Identify schematic symbols used for electrical devices.
- Understand polyphase voltages and currents found in the industrial environment.
- Understand the purpose and use of the National Electrical Code (NEC.)
You will cover :
- Direct and Alternating current Circuits : DC Potential sources/ Conductors/ Resistances/ Switches/ Energy Units / Phase.
- Over current Devices : Fuses/ Circuit Breakers/ Overloads.
- Inductance and Capacitance : Electromagnetism/ Lenz's Law/ Transition Effects/ Inductive Reactance/ Inductive Kick/ Relays/ Solenoids/ Contractors/ Values and Units/ Transition Effects/ Capacitive Reactance/ Capacitors (Type Values.)
- Applied Circuits : Impedance/ Resonance/ Power Factor.
- Measuring Equipment : Voltmeter/ Ammeter/ Ohmmeter/ Wattmeter.
- Safety : Measurement / Work Environment.
- Bridges : Description/ Operation/Use.
- Schematic Analysis : Symbols / Circuit Identification/ References.
- Polyphase Sources : 3 Phase/Y/Delta/Blind Delta Connection.
- National Electrical Code (NEC) : Description/ Use/ Industrial Applicability.
Classroom/Laboratory Exercises :
- Measure current, voltage, and resistance.
- Use electrical sources and components.
- Use capacitors and resistors.
- Hook up a resistive DC parallel circuit.
- Analyze a circuit for voltage, current, power dissipation, and resistance. * Test a relay for pull in and dropout voltage.